Skip to main content
THE GOLFER’S GOSPEL

It can be said of 100% of golfers, “none is perfect, no, not one.” People often ask what my handicap is and I answer, “The fact that I play this game.” Golf is inherently a game of physical and mental skill that goes a long way in demonstrating our imperfection in execution.

My handicap index is currently 11.2. Not awful, not great, and not getting much better. I am clearly not perfect. Bogeying 2/3 of the holes on the golf course is respectable, I suppose, but I have to come expect that type of a performance will be regular in my game.

Scratch golfers are also subject to the same types of imperfection, physical or mental. The wrong swing, wrong club, misreading the wind, and plain old bad thoughts happen to everyone. In recent times you saw this with Jordan Speith at the 2015 Masters and 2017 Northern Trust Open. A couple of balls in the water on par three holes lose the tournament. A perfect golfer would not have made those mistakes! What is really interesting is that Jordan is hard on himself and takes ownership in his imperfection – you see it in his body language and hear it in his words, both on and off the course.

“None is perfect, no, not one.”

THE RULES OF GOLF

Imperfect golfers play the game according to The Rules of Golf (the Rule). Promulgated by the US and R&A Golf Associations, the Rule provides a framework in which all players of the game participate. The Rule tells us 1) what we can and can’t do as golfers and 2) what to do when something goes wrong. Because we are imperfect golfers we need the latter most often!

But the other thing about the Rule is this – violations of it are best understood by the participant, the one who is complying with or violating the Rule. Sure, TV cameras can pick up violations. But each and every time I go on the golf course there are no cameras. There are times when no one is watching at all. What do you do with the Rule then? Violate it or keep it?

Let me share an example. The best rounds I’ve played at my local club have been in tournaments where the Rule is applied. The Rule should be applied at all times, but we often take liberties with how and when to apply the Rule. In a tournament setting, the Rule needs to be followed, allowing for local rules. It’s when I’m following the Rule that I play my best. When the ball is sitting down in the rough I have to play it there, rather than rolling it over into a nicer spot. But the remarkable thing is this – my result always seems better when I play the ball as it lays rather than trying to improve my lie (usually a violation of the Rule).

The other thing about the Rule is it forces players to play with character and integrity. Most often the players penalize themselves when the Rule has been violated. They may seek the guidance of fellow competitors in interpreting the Rule or assessing a penalty. In this way we need to 1) know the Rule and 2) trust in others to help us understand how the Rule applies. My objective with this pamphlet is to help you with the latter.

GOLF AS IT RELATES TO LIFE

Forrest Gump said, “My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

I would paraphrase Forrest and say, “Life is like the game of golf. It always shows us what’s on the inside.”

Just as I am an imperfect golfer, I am an imperfect person. This comes out in things I do, things I say, internal thoughts and even in things that I do not do. The Bible says, “None is righteous (perfect), no, not one.” In my imperfection I run from God, I do not seek Him. In my imperfection I do not revere God, but openly and silently live as if I were God. I live in violation of God’s Rule. After all, I have a great handicap, I am a human being.

We are all imperfect in thought and deed. And inherently we all understand this in our hearts. Ever had a sense of guilt? That’s good, because it shows you that you know you are not always right or perfect, that you have done or said something that has caused pain or difficulty for someone else.

Being human, we have a nature, called the sin nature. It is something that has existed for thousands of years – it’s a nature that we all have – and it’s largely about violation of God’s Rule. How do we know this? It (God’s Rule) has been written on our hearts. The law of God is something we know. The fact that it is written on our hearts helps us see our sin through our consciences. It shows hows us how to live and identifies the areas that we need to 1) run from and 2) turn to.

There is a penalty that comes with violating the Rule of God. That penalty is DEATH. More significant than a stroke or two, or disqualification from a golf tournament, the penalty is disqualification from LIFE. And that is why we ALL will die – this is the penalty for sin.

The handicap system in golf is a great equalizer – putting all players on the same level and allowing them to compete in the game equitably. God has provided a handicap system for those who are imperfect and subject to DEATH. That system is based not on our goodness or deeds, but on act of grace and mercy on His part, the sacrifice of His one and only Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ, fully God and fully man, lived a perfect life and was crucified, dead and buried. On the third day He rose from the grave and defeated DEATH. And he ascended into Heaven where today He is seated at the right hand of God the Father.

It is His grace and mercy toward us that directed this event in history. In Jesus’ death, he bore the penalty for our imperfection, our sin. And in his rising from the grave he eliminates the disqualification from LIFE and provides true hope of our own rising from the dead, a resurrection to ETERNAL LIFE.

This is a wonderful hope for ALL, regardless of the volume or nature of imperfection in your life. You may be the sweetest person in the world or the meanest and nastiness. Regardless, we all have a sin nature. The greatest disobedience you will have in life is to NOT put your faith and trust in this work of Jesus Christ. Rather, you are called to “Trust in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.”

Would you consider this? Reread this pamphlet. Allow the words to penetrate your heart and mind. . I know that what I have shared with you is true. It is a great source of true hope (not wishful thinking) for me. I know it would be for you as well. Blessings on you toward LIFE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tiny House for God

A Post from Pastor Stephen Magee, Exeter Presbyterian Church, Exeter, NH  From the moment I heard about the tiny house movement, I was interested. Tiny houses are not easy to build in most places in the United States because they violate local building codes. For instance, the maximum size for an official tiny house is 400 square feet, which in our town in New Hampshire, is the minimum legal size for a structure intended for a human dwelling place. That would make it virtually impossible to build a tiny house here without going through a special approval process. I have always been interested in small things. The idea of what you could do to make a livable home in 100 square feet sends me off into a quiet place with a ruler, pencil, and postcard, thinking about how it could be done. This is not everyone's reaction to the movement. When I called the building inspector in a neighboring city to see what their rules might be, he was more than officially dismissive. “Have y

The Day of Small Things

I am currently reading Richard Phillips' commentary on Zechariah from the Reformed Expository Commentary series. What a tremendous blessing it has been in this season. Two nights ago our men's group at church had a guest speak, Col. Dennis Runey (Ret., US Army). He shared about his life, some about his 30 year career in the Army, and much about his time as founder of Portsmouth Christian Academy (PCA), located in Dover, NH. There are two verses from Zechariah 4 that tie wonderfully to what Dennis spoke about:      " Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit...." [4:6] (ESV)      " For whoever has despised the day of small things shall rejoice...." [4:10] (ESV) Great things in life and ministry do not come with great beginnings. They come from small beginnings. PCA started with $48,000 and a few dozen students in the early 1990's in an old, run-down, school building. Today it is a beacon of light on a 50-acre campus with three buildings, two gym